Entertaining at night is easier than entertaining in the morning. You have all day to prep your dishes without an audience…aka “too many cooks in the kitchen!” If you are looking for a crowd pleaser that is easy to prepare, then this dish is for you! If you are a meat lover, simply substitute the soy chorizo with the real stuff. This faux sausage egg frittata takes only 10 minutes to whip up and is a delicious breakfast item to serve along with your favorite savory pastry or with a side of warm corn tortillas.
Faux Sausage Egg Frittata
- 6-8 large eggs
- 8 oz Mexican style shredded cheese
- 1 small onion
- 1 package soy chorizo links or preferred faux sausage
- 1/3 cup diced sweet peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- olive oil spray
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 and dice enough vegetables to generously cover bottom of 9 inch oven-safe skillet.
- Crack eggs into bowl and pour in 1/2 cup of milk. Whisk well and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate mixture.
- Cover bottom of skillet with olive oil spray and cook onion on medium heat until translucent. Add peppers, tomatoes, and soy chorizo (last) cooking about two minutes each or until soft but not soggy. I use the Trader Joe’s kind soy chorizo!
- Remove skillet from heat and allow to cool 2-3 minutes. Pour in eggs and stir so that ingredients are well combined. Mix in 2-3 generous handfuls of shredded cheese.
- Transfer skillet to oven and cook 15-30 minutes or until the middle is no longer jiggly. Frittata should have a sponge-like appearance and time depends on number of eggs used.
- Cut frittata like a pie and top with a dollop of sour cream if desired.