I love fashion because it is a form of silent expression. You can tell a lot about a person based on the clothing that they are wearing. If there is one item in my closet that perfectly describes my personality, it is this tinsel fringe jacket! In five words this jacket is: bubbly, confident, happy, energetic, and daring.
I am a naturally bubbly person. It’s the reason I’m always smiling in my blog pics. I look so STRANGE with a serious face…that is probably why I nervously laugh in serious situations (guilty!). To me, happy is the only way to be, and I’m the happiest when I like my outfit. I choose to be confident and daring. My mom would tell you I mastered these skills on the field hockey field, but it carries over to the ensembles I wear. What do you mean you wouldn’t wear a thigh high slit dress or a tinsel fringe jacket?! Dare to be bold! I’m hyper. It’s hard for me to sit still and I’m always thinking about the next activity or outfit to wear! This look exemplifies all of these qualities which is why it’s my absolute favorite from New York Fashion Week. I wish I could wear it again sooner, but I might have to save the jacket for Halloween. There’s nothing wrong with dressing up as a 1970’s disco chic two years in a row, is there?!
Now whether it’s your first time to NYFW, or your bff’s, help a sister out and bookmark these life changing tips.
10 things I wish I knew before my first NYFW
- Download GPS Radar – This free app will help you organize your electronic tickets. Ain’t no body got time to keep track of paper tickets.
- Bring a Wireless Charger – Between the Boomerangs, IG stories, and daily outfit pics, your phone will loose battery faster than ever. Carry a wireless charger or two with you at all times.
- Take the Subway – I literally almost pulled out my hair after missing two shows because of the infamous NYC traffic. Suck it up and take the subway or lease a helicopter for the week…hah!
- Utilize Glamsquad – This service sends a hairstylist, makeup artist, or nail technician to your hotel room! Not only is it convenient, but it’ll free up time for you to multitask. Use code “kkaplan0506” for a $25 credit.
- Make Time to Eat – This seems obvious, but I ate “breakfast” at 4:30 pm two out of the four days I was in NYC. HANGRY doesn’t match your outfit.
comfortableStuart Weitzman Shoes – No really though, if you own them, don’t bother with another pair. You will be on your feet all day and the blisters and pain are not worth it. Stuart Weitzman saved my behind.
- Tag Products on rewardStyle Beforehand – If you’re a blogger, tag all of the items in your suitcase before your first show. That way if you snap an outfit pic on the go half of the work is already done for you.
- Carry a Pillbox – During NYFW your time is very calculated. It’s a mad rush between shows. Carry a pillbox with your go to pain reliever in case a headache, achy knees, or something else creeps up on you.
- Download Venmo – Sharing is caring during NYFW. Venmo makes splitting the bill easy as pie.
- Create Videos not IG Stories – It’s your job to document the week via IG stories or snapchat for your followers to see. But rather than haphazardly uploading snippets of the day (missing important captions and tags), film short videos with your iPhone. Take the time to thoughtfully caption your stories when you’re less distracted.
Shop the Post:
A special thanks to Laurel Creative for capturing the moment!